Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Gulla Bhajji ( Smoked Eggplant dip)


This is my favourite!! Infact I was called guula by my siblings during our childhood days. We would keep names to each other, my favourite was eggplant hence they named me guula just because they hated the look of it. Even now when I go home I ask my ma to make it. Thankfully my daughter also loves it, so I have a company now. This dish is really easy to make. All those eggplant lovers give it a try and you will never repent!!! This dip is specially for the "Chutney/dip Mania Event" by Ramya's Mane Adige.

Ingredients:
Green brinjal/ mattigulla or purple brinjal - 1 big
green chillies - 1-2
salt to taste
asafoetida/hing water - 1 tsp if powder use ½ tsp
tamarind - marble size or tamarind paste - 1 tsp
coconut oil - ½ + 1 tsp

Method:
There are two ways of cooking Brinjals.

1.Wash the brinjlal and wipe it dry. Keep the stem intact. Prick all over with a fork. Smear the brinjal with coconut oil and keep over direct flame till it turns brown first turn over and brown all the sides then wait till it turns black allover(almost burnt). This gives a smoky effect to the brinjals. (as we do for bhartha).
2. Wash and cut the brinjals into big cubes. Add water just enough to cook the brinjals. Cook till done.
Set aside to cool the smoked or cooked brinjals. Then peel off the skin and take the inner pulp in a bowl. Add chopped green chillies. salt and hing water/powder, tamarind and mash well with a potato masher. OR just blend all the ingredients except brinjals and coconut oil to coarse paste. Add this paste to brinjal pulp and mix well. Add coconut oil and mix well. gulla bhajji is ready to be served with rice or can be eaten just like that.

Variation:
1tbsp coconut can be added while blending or mashing to thicker consistency.
Asafoetida can be replaced by chopped onions and coriander leaves(do not blend).

14 comments:

FH said...

YUMMY! I love brinjal bajji with akki rotti. Looks so good! :)

Sunshinemom said...

Brinjal is doing the round this month! Very nice dip:) The flavors are completely new to me! I have heard of kotsu but this is different!

Ashwini said...

wow love this dip..My mom used to make these for rottis..fingerlicking..

Trupti said...

looks very delicious

Finla said...

Super delicious dip.

Suparna said...

Hi poonam,

Wow, I love this dish completely. Yummmmmm...goes well with rotis as well as rice...it tastes heavenly.

Namrata Kini said...

I love Gulla bajji. I think the 1st method of cooking makes it even more tastier but we usually follow the 2nd method. Recipe is same as yours. Great entry.

Kannada Cuisine said...

Ah! this is the famous gulla bajji that even Udipi Krishna relishes! it is similar to our badanekai bajji but still not quite the same..

It looks great though.. i do have a binjal lying in my crisper so no time is better to try!

Varsha Vipins said...

The dip looks pulpy n yummy..:)

Unknown said...

this brinjal dip sounds so good and simple..

Andhra Flavors said...

looks inviting. it goes well with roties.

Raaga said...

I didn't like it earlier, I'm developing a taste for it.

vidhas said...

Poonam, i love brinjal in all ways. This is new to me, sonds delicious. Surely will give try .

Sharmi said...

hey Poonam, Did you send something for http://pedatha.com/2009/01/22/cooking-for-kids-with-love/
Today is last date:)