Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Apple Halwa



Vidhas of Appetizing Recipes has passed me this Award. Its really sweet of her to do so and I am highly oblidged, Vidhas thanks a lot!!!!!



On that happy note I am posting a sweet today!!!
This was that particular sweet dish which I have been waiting to try since a year now. We all like to munch on apples, so I hardly get them in fridge begging to be used. I tried this halwa with green apples. They are not that sweet but slightly sour to taste which my hubby loves and me and my daughter a complete no-no. There were just 3 remaining and I had try this before my hubby would finish it off. By the way this recipe is from Shilpa who needs no introduction to this blogging world. For the step by step neat pictures refer here.

Ingredients:
grated green apples - 3, approx 2 cups
sugar/sugar free - ¾ cup
ghee - 1 tsp
Almonds - 8
cardamom powder - ½ tsp

Method:
Wash and peel apples. Grate them fine.
Crush almonds with rolling pin.
Heat ghee in a non stick pan, add grated apples and fry till rawness disappears and the mixture is dry.
Now add sugar to the cooked mixture and keep stirring till it leaves the sides of the pan.
Meanwhile add crushed almonds and stir.
Grease a dash of ghee onto the plate and keep ready. Once the mixture comes out dry leaving the sides of the pan put off the flame, add cardamom powder and mix gently. Transfer it to the greased plate and spread evenly with a spatula till the top is smooth and shiny.


Let cool for around 10 minutes and cut into desired shapes and let cool completely.

As I used green apples this halwa was sweet and tangy. I am planning to cook it next time until just done ( not too dry) and use as an accompaniment with chapathis like jam for my daughter.

This Halwa is for the following Events:
Recipes for the rest of us - Dessert hosted by Varsha and started by Ramki of One Page Cookbooks &
Diabetic Friendly Sweets hosted by Mythreyee

31 comments:

FH said...

How beautiful! Great for breakfast too, smothered on the toast! :)

Finla said...

I love halwa and this apple one looks so yumm.
I want to have a piece.

Ashwini said...

yummyyyyyy..love this..looks beautiful

Namrata Kini said...

I have tried this halwa and it turns very yummy. I also add a little milk just like carrot halwa and it becomes even more tastier. Nice entry for the event Poonam.

Paru ... said...

Lovely Halwa Poonam..I have to try this with so many apples at home..

Vijitha said...

Lovely idea! Looks yummy!

Shivali said...

Looks tempting.

Trupti said...

apple halwa looks very delicious & easy to make. Congratulations on award. check my blog for 2 wonderful awards.

Swapna said...

Looks delicious & quite simple. kids loves it:)

Unknown said...

Nice blog & very Innovative.. frist time here.. Great entries...Halwa sounds delicious..

Preety said...

wow apple halwa..looks delicious..it almost looks like a jam..

Madhu's cooking gallery said...

First time I happened to visit your site, I see a super Yum sweet!!! couldn't take my eyes out..drooling over apple halwa..
very new to me..gotta try!

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

what??????apple halwa??? looks sooo good.. very glossy and perfect... i am really tempted to make this. i have lots of apples in the fridge.. can we use red ones? i guess we can..right?

Uj said...

Totally new recipe to me.. looks yummy.. BTW yes it might taste great with toast or chapathi.. My maayi makes with tothapuri mango :D I missed so many of your posts dear.. will check it out

indosungod said...

Looks really lovely. I have the same question as Mahimaa, will red apples work? I am sure the unwanted apples would be gone in no time

vidhas said...

Hi Poonam,
Halwa looks great.its new to me. using sugar free is great idea. Grab your award girl:-)

Poonam said...

Thanks a lot for lovely comments!!!
red apples will work as well!!

KonkaniBlogger said...

Halwa is looking good Poonam, has got such a nice color to it!

Dershana said...

halwa with green apples! that's new to me and sure does sound yum!

Premyscakes said...

sounds interesting poonam, i have never tried halwa in apple.
cheers

Deepthi Shankar said...

wow thatz cool .. loved the color of the halwa

Priya Suresh said...

Beautiful halwa Poonam...looks really delicious..

Anonymous said...

can we do it on normal red apples, i have so much on shelf
jyothi

Anonymous said...

do we have to grate apples with skin or without sking, pls do tell me i want to prepare this

Sunshinemom said...

New to me and looks really tasty. If only I could try some!

Premyscakes said...

Very much tempting!!!! bookmarked it.

Subhie Arun said...

yummy...grt entry...

Sanghi said...

Wow.. Yummy delight.. Nice colour too!

Nithya said...

This is absolutely a creative dish and looks too yummy.. :)

will give it a try soon.

first time to your blog and sure will be here often from now. Keep it going.

Take a look at my blogs when you find time.

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Creative and unique.
http://shanthisthaligai.blogspot.com/

Binitha said...

I've never heard of apple halwa before...looks so inviting...yumm!
enjoyed looking through your blog and
happy to follow you
do visit my space when time permits

Cheers,
Binitha
yourstastefully.blogspot.com