Sunday, January 18, 2009

Falafel



My first try on Falafel was here in Doha where we used to carry this "fast food" wrapped in a pita bread while watching movies in Cinema Hall. I fell in love with this snack the very first time i tasted it. Falafel balls can be eaten alone as a snack or as a sandwich topped with salad, pickled vegetables, hot sauce and tahina. I was eagerly wanting to try this snack at home. But the problem was tahina. I was really not confident how would this tahina turn out if tried at home as I am not a great fan of sesame seeds. Then after a long hunt, i found this ready-made tahina paste at the grocery.

There are lots of recipes to this particular snack but i found this recipe at Namratha's blog -
Finger licking Food which tempted me to make this dish the moment I read it and I am really happy that I gave it a try. I have done minor changes here and there as I did not have few ingredients like oregano but still it was great to taste.

Ingredients:


Dried chickpeas or garbanzo beans - 1 cup
baking powder - 1 tsp
onion - 1 medium, chopped
garlic - 4 cloves, smashed
cumin powder -1 tsp
coriander powder - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
pepper powder - ½ tsp
Coriander leaves - one handfull
salt to taste
Breadcrumbs for binding

Method:
Soak the dried chickpeas overnight or slightly more. Rinse and drain.
Blend all the ingredients except bread crumbs to a coarse paste. Refrigerate for a while to get firm balls. Shape the blended and refrigerated mixture into nice round balls and arrange these balls in a single layer in an air tight container and freeze them in advance if using for a party or just deep fry these balls on medium flame till golden brown. Serve hot with Hummus, Yogurt dip and Pita bread.




This savoury snack and Vegetable Cutlet goes for the EFM - Savouries hosted by Srilekha at Me and My Kitchen

2 comments:

KonkaniBlogger said...

Poonam, thanx for ur comment on my blog. Good to know you are Konkani too..Falafel looks good, and happy blogging :)..Hope to see u often.

Sunanda said...

the name'Falafel' I heard for the first time..it looks delicious and easy to prepare. I am gonna try this definitely.